In an effort to arm myself to the teeth, and to win the most recent battle, I appeal to your collective wisdom.
We have completed the potty training, I think. Days without soiled underwear are promising. I just should have waited till now. No more relenting under pressure from grandmothers, now I have friends!
Alright, that was just a distracted side note. We are having serious bedtime issues!
We follow a bedtime routine--watch a video, wash and brush, pjs, discuss what we are thankful for, read a Bible story, pray, sing two songs (one per parent), bed. This used to work.
Then she started crawling out of her bed to play. We set the timer. When it goes off, she must stay in her bed. This worked for a couple of weeks. Twice she fell asleep on the floor before the timer went off.
Now she cries. Well, it is more like howling. Chris calls it the birthing of a cow. For a really long time. Like hours. Until we go to bed. Do you know how hard it is to watch Amazing Grace when your child is bellowing as if being stuck with sharp sticks. We are well into our second week of this.
- We have prayed and told the monsters to leave.
- We have brought fresh water.
- We have taken her to the bathroom multiple times.
- We have sat on her bed with her.
- We have tried to reason.
- We have threatened turning out all the lights. (I actually did this and she ran screaming from the room.)
- Last night we threatened a spanking. She kept crying, but at a more ignorable pitch and volume. She fell asleep in her closet. No, we didn't put her there.