Monday, February 16, 2009

Five Minute Tasks

One day in my fervor to get things accomplished, I decided to use the time it took to make tea to be productive. Instead of say reading a few blogs and getting so distracted, I forgot about the steeping tea till it was cold and bitter and found half an hour wasted for which I beat myself up the rest of the day.

Anyway, I have been thinking about time, probably too much, lately and I was wondering what kinds of things can be accomplished in a 5 minute time period. Or other short period of time often written off as too short to accomplish something.

In the time it takes to make old-fashioned oatmeal. These are ors.
Make my bed and straighten our room
Clear out the dishwasher, all but the silverware
Reload the dishwasher
Get dressed and wash face (I haven't tried the toothbrushing at this time because brushing your teeth before breakfast just defeats the purpose)

In the time it takes to make a cup of tea (waiting for the right amount of water to boil, not the amount necessary for pasta to cook). These are ands.
Put away the adults' underwear (who wants tea when the children are awake?)
Fold the blanket from my nap
Design a fabulous housekeeping series for a blog
Review my memory verses from the Mega Memory Month (I didn't make it. Currently blaming the child developing in my womb for stealing my brain cells.)
Get the mail and toss it in the mail area.

In 10 minutes. These are ors.
Pick up Abigail's room and the living room
Dress myself and do those little personal hygiene tasks to prepare for the day
Wash the dishes that don't make it into the dishwasher and wipe the table and counters
Write a post.

What can you do in a few minutes? And do you?

Honestly, I squander a large amount of my spare minutes. If you visit, you can tell.

1 comment:

Mrs. Wilson said...

in 10 min... I don't know, I can't remember the last time I got 10 uninterrupted minutes! BUT in the time it takes the kids to eat their breakfast, I can get a load of laundry into the washer! that's about as far as I get with the multitasking right now.. =)